David Howell practises business law and estate planning. His practice focuses on providing legal services to owners and managers of private businesses. David’s clients include businesses in the manufacturing, services, health care and technology industries. He has extensive experience in establishing new businesses, corporate reorganizations, professional corporations, business agreements, business succession planning and mergers and acquisitions. David was called to the Ontario Bar in 1985 and completed the CICA In-Depth course in taxation in 1990.
David is involved in many professional and community activities including the following:
- Bencher of the Law Society of Upper Canada (elected in 2017)*
- Hamilton Law Association, President 2013-2014, Founding Chair of the Corporate-Commercial Sub-Committee and member of the Corporate Commercial sub-committee
- Co-Chair of the Annual Corporate Commercial Seminar of the Hamilton Law Association
- Speaker on Business Law and Taxation to many groups including the Ontario Bar Association and the Hamilton Law Association
- Tutor and seminar instructor in business law and taxation for the Bar Admission Course for over 20 years
- Estate Planners Council of Hamilton (Member and a Past President)
- Canadian Tax Foundation (Member)
- Ontario Bar Association (Member)
- Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation (Former Member of the Board of Directors and Treasurer)
- Hamilton Civic Hospitals Foundation (Former Member of the Board of Directors)
- Royal Botanical Gardens (Former Member of the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee) (Received Ontario Volunteer Award, 2003)
- Hamilton YMCA (Member)
*The Benchers of the Law Society are responsible for governance of the Ontario legal profession in the public interest.
What uncommon value delivered by a culture of service means to me:
Always working to find practical, thoughtful and creative ways to achieve my clients’ goals, efficiently and on-time.